Zen & M’s: The point of inversions

This week, Caitlin explores the mental and physical benefits of yoga inversions.

As I was lying upside down staring at my feet in the air at yoga the other day, I began to wonder what the purposes of inversions are (for those of you who don’t know, inversions are any yoga poses where your heart is lifted above your head). Sure, they’re a ton of fun and very satisfying when you accomplish them, but let’s be honest, they stray a bit to the silly side.

As one must always remember while practicing yoga (and reading Zen & M’s), it is as much a mental discipline as a physical one. Yoga philosophy describes inversions as a change in perspective. By literally changing our perspective by being flipped upside down, we learn to see the world in a different way.

However, the benefits do not stop at philosophy; they become more concrete and scientific. Inversions are said to be good for your cardiovascular health, providing for more efficient circulation and healthy lung tissue. Also, it increases blood flow to your head, which will, as Demi Lovato says, give your heart a break.

Another perk to practicing inversions is that they stimulate your lymphatic system. This helps purify your body and boosts your immune health, and it has positive effects for your nervous system (though the explanations behind those benefits get a little bit dry for those who have opted out of AP Bio). What all of us can understand, however, is that inversions can counteract back pain and stress we put on our spines all day by literally counteracting gravity.

As I did my research on inversions, I found that many sources reported more positive thinking, confidence and concentration from practicing these topsy turvy moves. Though there is no science behind these assertions, they make sense. Also, I can attest to these effects from my own lessons with yoga. Obviously, one has to be able to concentrate to balance your core above your head for longer than a fraction of a second, so that’s that for improving concentration. But, in terms of confidence and positive thinking, after you finish a set of inversions you realize exactly what you have accomplished. The first time I was able to get just one foot off the ground during a tripod (handstand with your head on the ground), I was happy with myself because I was already better than last week.

When it comes to inversions, focus on where you are at the moment and not on what you want the final product to look like. Don’t expect to hold a handstand for three minutes the first time you try, or to be able to hold it at all. With inversions, like everything else in health, take all of the necessary steps to build skills and strength, and you’ll be surprised how much you’ll learn.

Namaste!