Window’s “City Rhythms” rocks the house

Last Thursday through Saturday evenings were busy ones in Wayland High School’s Little Theater, where the Window Dance Ensemble performed a collection of dances centered on the theme New York, in a show called City Rhythms.

Never having seen a Window show before, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was greeted with a variety of dance numbers of all shapes and sizes, all fantastically choreographed by Window. Directors Sam Sklar, Sylvia Lorenzini and Liz Entrup, lead the group, along with teacher-advisers Julie Aresco and Richard Weingartner.

There were solo pieces, such as the opening piece, “Dance Studio”, which featured Hannah Mead, Sam Sklar and Emma Kandrac. There were upbeat, Latin dance pieces such as “Graffiti,” in which the girls wore black, paint-splattered t-shirts and ended with a 5-on-5 “dance-off” of sorts. I especially liked “Rave,” performed in the dark. The dancers wore glow sticks around their wrists, creating a cool effect.

People who, like me, originally thought Window was an all-girls group, had to think again.“La Discotecha,” choreographed by Aresco, featured not only female dancers, but also male dancers Travis Downs, Federico Suarez, Jon Lustig, David Villari, Seth Harper, Trevor Dixson and Charlie D’Orlando.

Along with their well-choreographed dance numbers,  Window did a nice job using a variety of songs featuring all sorts of artists — Music included light pop, upbeat hip-hop, techno dance club, classic jazz and classical works.

Audience members weren’t the only ones who enjoyed themselves. “Being part of Window was so much fun,” said Dixson. “We were all working together for the same purpose, and knowing you were part of something with so many fun people was such a fun experience.”

Dancer Ariel Cormier was of the same mindset. “It’s nice to form friendships with people that are outside of your friend circles,” she said. “I had a nice time this season getting to know the everyone in Window.”