Boys soccer to play in Kicks for Cancer

Wayland's boys soccer team will take on Acton-Boxborough on Saturday at Concord-Carlisle, as part of the 4th annual Kicks for Cancer soccer game. (Credit: Melanie Wang/WSPN)

Bub, Aunt Susan, and Grammy. These are among the names that twenty-five high school boys and two coaches will wear on their backs Saturday night, when the Warriors trade in their usual jerseys for pink ones bearing the names of loved ones who have fought cancer.

“I’ve only worn black and orange my whole life, so pink is going to be a nice change,” said senior captain and back Ian Stack.

The boys varsity soccer team will play Acton-Boxborough at 5pm on Saturday, as part of the 4th annual Kicks for Cancer game at Concord-Carlisle High School. Host CC will play Lincoln-Sudbury simultaneously.

The event is held each year in memory of Lois Wells, a Concord resident and soccer mom who lost her battle with cancer in 2007. Wells’ sons, Steve and Dan, played for CC in the 1990s, and Steve is now an assistant coach for the team.

Senior captain and striker Griffin McGrail at work during practice on Thursday. (Credit: Melanie Wang/WSPN)

All the night’s proceeds from raffles, the concession stand, and admission fees will be donated to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to support women’s cancer research.

The Wayland team has also been selling pink Kicks for Cancer wristbands at the high school to fundraise for the cause. They began with 400 wristbands, and by Thursday evening, were left with less than 70. The remainder will be sold at the game.

“Someone had to give up a home game to do [Kicks for Cancer] at CC. It was the easiest decision to make,” said Wayland head coach David Gavron. The Warriors were scheduled to play AB at home on Thursday afternoon, but shifted the game to Saturday to participate.

However, cancer research is not the team’s only concern. The game will be a crucial one for the Warriors. AB’s Colonials are 3-0-1 and look to pose a strong challenge.

“Like every other DCL game, it’ll be a battle,” said Gavron. “We have the luxury of playing in one of the most demanding leagues in the state of Massachusetts.”

Senior Griffin McGrail (left) is currently tied for top scorer in the DCL, while junior Chris D'Amico is tied for second.(Credit: Melanie Wang/WSPN)

The team has just come off a 2-1 victory against rival Weston, last year’s division 3 state champions. Wayland lost a number of starters with the graduation of the class of 2010, but even so the team has melded together quickly to rise to the top of the DCL Small with a record of 4-0.

“From preseason, we had our goals set on beating Weston, so it was a great accomplishment for all of us,” said Stack. “This is the year.”

“Coach is right when he says it really matters from the last guy on the bench to the first starter on the field,” said fellow senior captain and back David Villari. “We’re united as a team, and it’s really helping to bring it all together: 4-0, hopefully 5-0, 6-0 and on from there.”

There’s no doubting that the competition will be intense on the field Saturday night as the four teams, all strong contenders in the DCL, step up to prove their mettle.

However, before the games begin, they will line up together. They will share one national anthem. For a few minutes, at least, these high school players will leave behind their rivalries to stand next to one another in support of a greater cause.

“My jersey says Nana, for my grandmother who, when I was younger, passed away from pancreatic cancer,” said Villari. “I’m just very happy to wear the jersey for her.”

Kickoff time is 5PM on Saturday, for both games. Tickets will be sold at the gate. They are $10 for adults and $5 for children. To learn more about the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, please click here.