Comedian Jimmy Tingle speaks in Walden Forum

As a part of the Walden Forum, Jimmy Tingle spoke at the First Parish Meeting House about his work as a comedian.

Comedian Jimmy Tingle spoke Tuesday, February 21, at the First Parish Meeting House in Wayland. Tingle talked about his career as a comedian and how humor affects national political conversations. The event was part of the Walden Forum.

Although Cambridge-native Tingle did not plan on becoming a comic, he is very happy to be one. It wasn’t until performing at an open mic night that he decided to pursue comedy as a career. After years of street performing and more open mic nights, Tingle made his way to NPR, HBO, CBS and the BBC.

As a political comedian, Tingle  expresses his opinions on matters that he considers important. Tingle explained that, unlike politicians, he has the freedom to say what he believes without worrying about a target demographic of voters.

“If I feel a certain way about something, it comes out,” Tingle said.

While Tingle’s profession allows him to express his perspective, he also believes that humor unites opposing viewpoints. According to Tingle, a good comedian will make everyone in the audience laugh, even those who disagree.

Tingle is currently in the process of producing his own TV show, through which he hopes to express his opinions to the public. According to NPR reporter Neal Conan, young people get much of their political information from comedy shows. Conan reports that 39 percent of today’s youth get their news from political comedy programs like “The Daily Show.”

And many Wayland students are part of that contingent.  “I love political humor. I watch Bill Maher, Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart and I like to read the Onion,” said sophomore Josh O’Neil.

Tingle looks forward to sharing his political stances on a more widespread level in the future.

“I feel really fortunate to have found something that I love to do,” said Tingle.