Warrior Weekly: Spring is in the air

Break out your rackets, sticks and mitts because spring is here.

If you haven’t been able to tell from the last few days that spring is coming, you probably need to get out more. This weekend was beautiful especially Sunday. Thankfully this weather has come just in time for spring sports, and it seems to be here to stay. I remember last year the first day of tryouts were played in a inch or two of snow. Hopefully this year the weather will stay like this all spring, but for the spring season to start it means that the winter season ended, and it did just that for the boys hockey team on Wednesday.

The boys played their hearts out against Medway, at Harvard, and fell a goal shy of a game at the Garden, 5-4. At times it was sloppy, but the boys left nothing on the ice and gave it all they had. It was a heck of a run for a team that some thought wouldn’t even make the playoffs, let alone win the Section. If this team can stay together, the future looks very bright, they lose only four seniors. They were key seniors, but there is no substitute for the experience the team gained on the run. Great season boys.

So I enjoyed my final day of the off season by watching college basketball, and my bracket is busted. Two fifteen seeds won for the first time ever in an NCAA tournament. It was then that I decided to scrap my bracket, and not look at it again. I wanted to focus on the games, and not who I picked. Granted this happened a little bit sooner than I wanted it to so I’m pulling for the underdogs now. Hopefully the glass slipper will fit through the first weekend.

As I said before the spring season will start this week, and this spring I’ll be doing something for the first time in my high school career, playing baseball. For the first three years I played lacrosse, but this spring I decided to give baseball another try. I often get asked why, and plain and simple it’s just what I wanted to do. I only get one more chance to play baseball, so I figured why not give it a shot? It is my last season, and I am glad that I’m going to spend it playing baseball.

The WSPN sports group will do another In-Depth report on this spring season, be sure to look for it. Until then good luck at tryouts or whatever you choose to do this spring. If the weather keeps like this I hope whatever you do is outside. A new spring scoreboard will be up soon, so check it out to see when your favorite teams are playing, and make it to some games! Let’s hope we can keep the success of this year going.