New electives offered for 2012-13 school year

The course selection process for the 2012-13 school year is under way for underclassmen.

In order to graduate, students need to earn 76 credits by the end of their senior year. In addition to the required English, social studies, math, science, physical education and fine arts course, there are a variety of electives available for students to earn their additional credits.

When choosing classes for the 2012-2013 school year, students will have several more options. All the classes offered this year will be available next year and many departments have created new courses.

Business teacher Jim Page is offering a new business course, School Store Operations. It will be open to seniors as a continuation of the Entrepreneurship and Business Management (EBM) course. Students will learn the principles of retail marketing, plan and maintain inventory and sell goods at the school store in the Commons.

The fine arts department is creating two new electives: Piano and Page to Stage. Page to Stage is a musical theater class that will focus on many aspects of performance including singing, dancing, and acting. The arts department will also continue their course Lyrics, Licks and Layin’ Down Tracks.

The English department will not be introducing any new courses. However, Journalism and Creative Writing will be offered next year.

Math teacher Mike Hopps will be teaching Android App Development. The course is an introduction to programming and will focus on creating applications for Android devices. The class, offered at both college and honors levels, will be open to all grades.

For seniors, the science department will be offering Forensics and Astronomy courses in addition to the usual science classes. Forensics and Astronomy will only run if enough students enroll for the courses.

The language department is not making any changes to the curriculum, but students may start a new language as an elective.

The course selection process will be run as it was last year: teachers input recommendations, and parents and students have the opportunity to go onto iPass and select their courses.

$210
$1500