Rachel Moser-Hardy: I have the power to create my own world and the characters within it

Junior Rachel Moser-Hardy is currently writing a fantasy novel. She hopes to finish her book within the next year to pursue her dream of becoming an author. “The idea popped into my head and stayed,” Moser-Hardy said.
While many students groan at the thought of writing five pages, junior Rachel Moser-Hardy is in the process of writing children’s fantasy books, often working on the draft for five hours or longer at a time.

Her passion for writing began with her fourth grade teacher, who encouraged Moser-Hardy to become a writer after reading her stories.

“The idea popped into my head and stayed,” Moser-Hardy said.

Moser-Hardy credits the inspiration for her current book, a fantasy novel, to a previous fantasy piece she started writing when she was 11 years old and finished in seventh grade.

“It has a very exciting plot, but it also has deeper themes behind it,” Moser-Hardy said.

Moser-Hardy hopes the plot will appeal to both children and adult audiences like the Harry Potter series, written by one of Moser-Hardy’s inspirations, J.K. Rowling, did.

“I started to read her books in fourth grade, and I thought they were such great stories. Then, as I got older, I realized the deeper themes in them, and I found them very inspiring,” Moser-Hardy said.

This May, Moser-Hardy has the opportunity to further refine her writing skills at the New England Young Writers Conference hosted at the Bread Loaf Campus at Middlebury College from May 16 to May 19. The competitive conference required all applicants to submit a one-page sample of their writing, which was then judged by professional writers.

During the conference, Moser-Hardy hopes to learn more about how to edit her work, a process that she says she struggles with the most when writing.

Moser-Hardy’s favorite part of writing is creating characters.

“They become a part of you as a writer,” Moser-Hardy said. “Suddenly everywhere you go, it’s as if part of you is living in this world that you created as a writer.”

After Moser-Hardy polishes off the last chapters of her latest work and edits her piece within the next year, the aspiring author hopes to find a literary agent to fulfill her childhood dream.

“When I write, I have the power to create my own world and the characters within it,” Moser-Hardy said.

$210
$1500