ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

Spring sports preview

Above, class of 2012 graduate Riley Starr makes contact during a game against Westford Academy in the 2011-2012 school year spring season. Much like the baseball team, many WHS' spring sports teams are looking for success in this year's season.
[/caption]

Girls’ Lacrosse:
Last year the girls’ team had a successful season, finishing with a record of 15-5-1. The team made the state tournament and lost in the Division II North semifinals to Ipswich. The team looks to rally behind their scoring leader Amy Cunningham along with their strong senior core to lead them to another successful season.
Player to Watch: Amy Cunningham (junior)

Boys’ Lacrosse:
Last year the boys’ lacrosse team finished with a final record of 5-12. Although the team had a tough season, they look to their new coach to lead them to a success. The team has a strong core group of players and has the ultimate goal of making the tournament.
Player to Watch: Carson Hart (senior)

Baseball:
Last year the team finished 6-15. Although the team managed to make the tournament, they lost 3-0 in the first round. This year the team returns a strong group of seniors as well as Coach Joe Cincotta for his second year.
Player to Watch: Matt Goddard (senior)

Boys’ and Girls’ Track:
The track team has many returning seniors, including some strong sprinters on the girls’ side such as Kela Butts and Krayonna Thames. This year, the team has a new distance coach who will hopefully add to the program.
Players to Watch: Maggie Hojlo (senior) and Bennett Keyes (junior)

Volleyball:
This year’s team returns every player from last year’s along with a few additional seniors. Last year, the team fell one game short of making the state tournament. The team looks to make the playoffs for the first time in these seniors’ history.
Player to Watch: Kurt Straube (senior)

Boys’ Tennis:
The boys’ team had an extremely successful season last year. The team beat Sharron to win the Division II state title. The team lost doubles players Jackson Hubble and Drew Levey to college; however, the team does return three singles players from the 2012 State Champion team.
Player to Watch: Will Sharton (sophomore)

Girls’ Tennis:
Last year the girls missed states by one match, so this year the goal is to qualify. Senior Katherine McNamara is the teams first singles player. Senior Drew Canavan, who was a DCL all-star last year, also hopes to have a strong season.
Player to Watch: Katherine McNamara (senior)

Softball:
This year, the softball team is hoping to do a lot better than last year. The team has many returning seniors and many freshman joining the team. Senior Olivia Shaw and sophomore Samantha Abbott look to be key players in the success of the team this season.
Player to Watch: Olivia Shaw (senior)

Sailing:
The sailing team is still fairly new at WHS. Last year, the team won a number of dual meets against Lincoln-Sudbury and Wellesley. This year, they hope to keep up their success in dual meets and do better in the bigger regattas they compete in.
Player to Watch: Nick Memoli (freshman)

Girls’ and Boys’ Crew:
In the fall season, the boys’ and girls’ teams lived up to expectation, winning a state championship. This spring they look to continue their success. Much of the team has gone to California to compete in couple of races in the beginning of the season.
Players to Watch: Andy Cartwright (junior) and Gabriella Purman (senior)