ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

Students reflect on favorite TV shows

WSPN caught up with students to see what popular TV shows they have been watching. “Breaking Bad,” “Orange is the New Black,” “The Walking Dead,” “How I Met Your Mother” and “Modern Family” were some of the most popular choices among many.

691722677_1381594414
“Breaking Bad” is a crime drama that ended this year after five seasons. Bryan Cranston plays Walter White, a middle-aged high school chemistry teacher who gets diagnosed with cancer. Afraid that his family will be financially ruined, he takes drastic measures to make sure his family is able to live happily after he is gone.

Senior Vivek Singh’s thoughts after watching all five seasons of “Breaking Bad”:
“I started last October and began with the first season. I would watch the series on Netflix, so whenever I finished an episode, I always had the opportunity to watch another one. I kept on watching because each episode ends on a cliff hanger, so you always want to know what happens next. One of the best scenes was early in the series when they burned through a metal door using thermite. Breaking Bad is an incredibly good and compelling show. It’s a high quality production and very interesting.”

Junior Andrew Chen on his current experience watching “Breaking Bad”:
“When I heard all my friends say that it was a good show, I started watching it. I like Walt because he has a good personality, and he’s just so intense and cool. There’s also this character, Saul, who just has a good personality. There’s a ton of action, and there’s a lot of emotional things that are going on within. There are a lot of good story lines that happen within the main story. It’s something that you just want keep watching because it’s such a good concept for a story.”

Orange_is_the_new_Black
“Orange is the New Black” is a new comedy-drama series. Netflix put the the entire first season on this past July. The new series stars 2002 WHS graduate, Taylor Schilling. She plays Piper Chapman, a woman imprisoned for 14 months for transporting drug money.

Junior Julia Herbordt on her experience watching the first season of “Orange is the New Black”:
“I was really bored over the summer and wanted a show to watch. The series is interesting and unique. I’ve never seen another show like it. There are cop shows and other shows, but I’ve never seen one that takes place in a prison before. ‘Orange is the New Black’ puts a new twist on things since it’s different from a lot of other dramas that are just given different names and plots.”

Sophomore Alexandra Espiritusanto-Vega’s thoughts on the series:
“I started watching it on Netflix at the end of this summer and during the beginning of school. It’s intriguing to see how Piper Chapman’s life changed after she decided to go to prison willingly. I recommend this series to others because it is really insightful to see a show that takes place in a women’s prison.”

The_Walking_Dead_2010_logo.svg
“The Walking Dead” is a horror and drama series with four seasons. The show stars Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes, a former police officer who wakes up from a coma to a post-apocalyptic world with flesh-eating zombies. Rick embarks on a quest to keep his friends, family and self alive as he leads a small group of survivors.

Junior Cameron Dixson on how he started watching the show and some of his favorite things about it:
“I started watching ‘The Walking Dead’ when it came out a couple of years ago. It made a big splash in the water with all of its blood, gore and zombies! Who doesn’t like a post-apocalyptic show about all kinds of things. My favorite character is, like most people’s, Darrell. He’s the redneck guy. Every episode holds a new twist, like somebody dying who you don’t want to. It always makes for great conversation over the lunch room cafeteria table. I wouldn’t recommend it to younger kids because it might give them nightmares, but it’s a great show.”

Junior Matthew Massicotte explains his thoughts on the show:
“I first started watching the show two years ago. A couple of my friends told me about the show right after the first season ended, and then I went and watched the whole first season. The awesome action and cool zombies kept me coming back. My favorite character is Maggie because she is a very nice person.”

How_i_met_your_mother_logo.svg
“How I Met Your Mother” is an American sitcom with nine seasons. It stars Josh Radnor as Ted Mosby, along with his group of friends in New York City. In the year 2030, Mosby sits his son and daughter down to tell them the story of how he met their mother.

Junior Willis Zetter on how he started watching the show and why he likes it:
“Two or three years ago, I saw my brother watching it, and I started watching it a bit more regularly. Each episode is different, and all of them are generally funny. I would recommend this show because I think it’s a funny show that you can just watch whenever you’re bored, no matter what the circumstances are. You’ll always laugh.”

Senior Brendan Murphy’s thoughts on the show:
“I started from season one but not until they began to air later seasons. I watched a bunch of reruns that my friends owned. I love to laugh, and during the first episode, I was cracking up hysterically. Even though some of the most recent seasons aren’t as good, they still crack a lot of funny jokes. In my opinion, ‘How I Met Your Mother’ is one of the best comedies out there right now. I would highly suggest watching reruns. Start from the first season and work your way up.”

Modern_Family-Logo.svg
“Modern Family” is an American comedy series with five seasons. It stars Ed O’Neill as Jay Pritchett along with his second wife, their infant son, his stepson and his two children from another marriage and their families. Every episode showcases the comedic interaction between each of the “modern families.”

Sophomore Taylor DeRubeis on her experience watching “Modern Family”:
“I started watching ‘Modern Family’ around a year or two ago. Each episode is very funny and has a good plot. You don’t have to start watching from the beginning because the episodes don’t really connect. ‘Modern Family’ is really relaxing, and you don’t have to think about it too much. It’s not complex, but it’s a great comic relief.”

Senior Moonin Mookhiruntara’s thoughts after watching the second season:
“I watched ‘Modern Family’ when the second season was released. The characters are funny and hilarious. There are a lot of typical family situations that are recognizable. It’s funny and has a comedic twist on different interactions between families.”