• Early dismissal at 1:05 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 12

• Math department goes back on newly instituted policy, will hand out tests to students

• School Committee violated state law according to state attorney general Maura Healey

Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

Caitlin Newton

Danforth soloed in the T-Tones’ medley of Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer and Die a Happy Man by Thomas Rhett. For more Wayland A Cappella videos, check out their Youtube channel here.

Will Danforth, co-director of Wayland High School Testostertones, will be taking his musical talents past Wayland High School, as he plans on pursuing singing at a music college next year. Although performing on a stage is scary for most people, it isn’t for Danforth.

“For me, [performing] is not only therapeutic, but it’s [also] fun. Being on stage is where I’m the most comfortable. When I sing I become a different person,” Danforth said.

Singing has been a big aspect of Danforth’s life ever since he was a young boy.

“I started singing before preschool. When I was really young, my mom would take me to a music group for toddlers. I started singing there, and then I sang all the way up to kindergarten through grade school, [and until] now,” Danforth said.

Danforth says being a regular member of a cappella was fun because he didn’t have a lot of responsibility, and he got to hang out with his friends. As a director, his role is a different– he takes on a larger administrative responsibility.

“We have to coordinate with [the] administration to make sure we have concerts on time,” Danforth said. “We have to figure out ticket prices, we have to figure out if we are making another album, and [we need to] find gigs to go different places–we sing at Traditions or other schools or [places] like that.”

As a director of the T-Tones, Danforth has to put in more time and effort due to the extra responsibilities of being a director versus being a regular member. However, he says it is all worth it.

Although he loves the T-Tones’ music, Danforth says spending time with friends is his favorite part of a cappella.

“The fact that different people can come together to make songs just using their own singing [is really cool]. [However,] the guys I’m in the group with, and all the people that I get to sing with are almost like a family to me,” Danforth said.

His comfort on stage has given him the ability to be able to pursue singing in college next year.

“[Singing has] completely changed my life, [and] it’s the career path I’m choosing. I’m going to a music college, it’s a hobby that I’ve kept through my entire life. It’s kind of something I base my character around. I’m very excited to sing in college.”

Caitlin Newton, Features Editor

Caitlin Newton, class of 2020, is in her second year of journalism. She is the editor of the features section this year. She plays soccer and lacrosse...

1 Comment

One Response to “Artist of the Week: Will Danforth”

1. Linda Alhart on January 4th, 2018 8:39 PM

Congratulations to you Will. I know you will thrive at Berklee College of Music next year.

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

Mateos Norian: Soccer gives me an opportunity to expend my energy in a social or fun way

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

Debate team reaches above and beyond goals for success

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

Graduates explore new places abroad: Volume 2

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

Politipress: Growing Pool of Candidates (Part I)

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

WHS students reflect on their Super Bowl experience

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

Review: Escape Room

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

WW ’19: School screens ‘Hidden Figures’ the year after ‘Cool Runnings’ cancellation

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

WW ’19: Students’ opinions on past, present and future celebrations

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

News Brief: Boys lacrosse coach splits for BC High

• Artist of the Week: Will Danforth

Super Bowl 2019 – Which commercials did WHS like best?

Artist of the Week: Will Danforth