Zen & M’s: Meditation motivation

Join Caitlin as she talks about different types of meditation and the benefits meditation offers.
I have to admit, I am no student of meditation, despite my obsession with yoga. But with Senior Show rehearsals in full swing, I decided to learn as much as I could about it.

I love directing Senior Show, and I love my fellow seniors, but I just can’t escape any of it. When I’m not in rehearsal, I’m talking to a senior about the show, and when I’m not talking to a senior about the show, I’m thinking about how to improve the show.

My brain needs to shut off, so I can relax. Literally, shut off.

So, I figured learning about meditation would be a good way to focus my thoughts. After all, meditation has been practiced for thousands of years; there must be something to it. Meditation can help us lead a calmer day and maintain a sense of peace and balance. Also, in this age of technology, it can help us avoid “information overload.”

Specific benefits of meditation that I’ve read about include obtaining new perspectives on stressful situations, gaining new skills to manage stress, increasing self awareness, focusing on the present and reducing negative emotions.

Also, I learned that there are many different types of meditation. Here I was, thinking that meditation implied only one type of action, but it’s actually a term to describe many different ways to focus your thoughts.

Some of the types of meditation I read about seemed inaccessible to high schoolers, but there were a few that stood out to me as something most people can do anywhere, anytime. One of these ways is called “guided meditation,” sometimes referred to as guided visualization or imagery. This method involves visualizing places or situations you find relaxing and trying to engage as many of your senses (sight, sound, smell, taste and touch) as possible.

Another type is “mantra meditation,” which simply involves repeating a word or phrase over and over again to focus your thoughts and block out negative thoughts. We’ve probably all heard the story of the “The Little Engine That Could”; the little engine was practicing mantra meditation (“I think I can, I think I can”).

Similar to mantra meditation is the method of “transcendental meditation,” in which you narrow your consciousness awareness and allow everything to melt from your mind in order to achieve a state of perfect stillness.

And the other style of meditation I read about is … drumroll please … YOGA!

So, I have been meditating!

And, I can attest to the fact that yoga can help clear my head during stressful situations, remembering specifically back to the week before I took my AP US History exam and the week before I heard back from my college of choice. I’ve even been repeating a mantra as my quads scream, and my brain tells them to shut up.

When meditating, maintain an open attitude. Don’t be judgmental of the thoughts and emotions you think and feel. If you’re distracted, don’t get frustrated; just gently refocus yourself, and get back on track.

But, before I go on, let me clear up what being “judgmental” of your thoughts and emotions means because it seems a little odd to be judgmental of yourself. My interpretation of that phrase is just to not start analyzing your thoughts and emotions or get mad at yourself for having them. Just let them roll. Also, shut off all distractions you control such as technology, and realize that the effects of meditation may be subtle. Just keep at it until you start to notice the benefits!

Now, I don’t plan on doing a lot of formal meditation practice, but I will borrow bits and pieces of meditation philosophy for my daily life. I plan on taking as much time to relax as possible where I can. For example, when I’m walking from class to class, I can direct my attention to my breathing and walk deliberately in a rhythm to help focus. And, I really like the idea of a mantra. We could all use a signature motivational phrase!