ICYMI: Week of April 29 – WHS Taiwan trip, apparent homicide at Shopper’s World and Council on Aging and Community Center
May 6, 2024

Zen & M’s: Best of both worlds

As the school year starts to get into its usual groove, Caitlin has some suggestions on how to manage your workouts.

As Wayland High School students, it’s stressful to maintain good grades, chase championships and be musical prodigies while looking as attractive as we do. At the gym, it can also be stressful to realize that you have so many muscle groups to work out in just one session.

I promised that I would help you avoid all of this stress, and to do that, we all have to stay motivated! I can already feel the school year settling into its normal rhythm of tests, papers and projects. Test, paper, project …

In this post, I’ll share my workout routine with you and why it keeps me motivated. Everyone is different, so remember: this isn’t the only way to work out. But there’s no harm in trying this routine!

I subscribe to a split routine. This means that I focus on certain muscle groups during one workout and other sets of muscles during the next workout (as opposed to a full-body workout where I’d hit all of the muscle groups). I like the split style because it gives me the time I need to work on certain parts of my body without feeling like I need to rush. Also, it gives my muscles time to rest between workouts, so they’re fully recharged and ready to feel the burn when it’s their turn.

Generally I’ll group my routines by arms/legs and chest/back/shoulders. I also have a little core work for every workout, which is non-negotiable. Split routines give me a greater sense of accomplishment because afterwards I feel that I’ve challenged and conditioned my target areas.

And let’s get real. I’m very easily bored. Split routines save me from monotony, which I’ve learned is death to a good, productive workout. Doing something different every time I enter the gym keeps things fresh and lets me enjoy myself rather than simply going through the motions.

In my ideal world, I’d do two days of each half of my split every week and a fifth day of yoga. But, with a busy academic schedule and a cello to play, I have to be realistic. I make sure that I get in one day of each half every week, one day of yoga and then a fourth day of whatever workout I feel like doing. Having this flexible fourth day relieves the pressure of maintaining a strict schedule, and I can listen to what my body needs that week.

If my watered down school routine is still too much for you, don’t feel discouraged; I’m the one who’s certifiably crazy, not you. If you need to start small, try getting in a few days of 20-30 minute cardio workouts every week with a few extra exercises thrown in. Try some sit-ups, push-ups and lunges as building blocks.

With that, I leave you all to your own devices until next Wednesday. Stay healthy my friends!

$235
$1500